It’s getting pretty cold here in California (according to Cali standards). The winter has been so cold that we’ve been seeing snow here and there in places that you typically don’t see snow. And because of all this, my poor skin has been suffering.
I have combination skin type, usually a bit oily and also dry in certain areas. But since the weather has been cold, my skin has reached new extremes in dryness. I’ve never had such flakey dry skin in my life!! I’m dry all around my mouth, the middle and tip of my nose, my eyebrows and inner eyelids, and even my cheeks!! Wow, thats a lot of dry.
In desperation, I ran to the store to buy a new face lotion. I didn’t even check out any reviews and just picked something from the shelves at Target based off of what I thought “looked” good.
I picked Olay Total Effects 7-In-1 Tone Correcting Night Moisturizer 1.7 Fl Oz and overpaid for it at Target, but you can get it cheaper on Amazon for ~$18.
I’ve always heard good things about Olay’s 7-in-1 product line, so that was the first hook that got me to their shelving area.
Then I began looking at the difference between each of their products. The Tone Correcting Night Moisturizer caught my eye. I’ve never owned a night moisturizer before, so I decided to give it a try. Also, I used to not wear SPF on my face everyday and have lots of sun spots because of it, so the tone correcting aspect of the product intrigued me.
Below, are shots of the product box. You can see all of the different things that this face lotion claims to do.
Here is the product next to the box. As you can see, the actual lotion container is drastically smaller than the size of the box! I would say it is a bit on the pricey side for a drugstore type brand.
The lotion container is about the size of my fist. It has a easy twist off top instead of a pump or squeeze bottle.
When you first open the container, there is a little plastic disk that you have to pull off. The plastic disk isn’t adhered to the container. It just serves as a barrier to prevent the lotion from sticking to the inside of the twist off cap.
I like the design of this lotion container a lot because its very easy to access the lotion. I hate when you have a pump or a bottle to squeeze because you can’t really get 100% of the product out without extra effort.
The night moisturizer has a light flowery fragrance. Once you finish rubbing on the lotion, you don’t really notice the smell and it’s super faint. The texture of the lotion is very smooth and not thick at all. It lotion reminds me of pearls since it is metallic looking and shiny. Don’t worry though, the metallic shiny sparkly look shows up on your skin.
Afterwards, my face feels nice and moisturized. The lotion leaves a nice glow and makes your skin look well hydrated too. But after about 10 minutes, all of the moisture seems to have gone away, leaving my face feeling dry again. I guess most products have to have a few pros and cons…
Olay Total Effect 7-in-1 Tone Correcting Night Moisturizer Rating: ★★★★☆
- I don’t have wrinkles or fine lines, but my face does look smoother than before I started using the product
- My face is a little bit tighter, which is why I think my face feels dry soon after I’ve applied this moisturizer
- It seems to have helped improve my overall skin tone (but then again, my face wash claims to help with that too)
- The surface of my skin seems to have also improved and also has better overall color
- Does not serve well as a moisturizer for dry skin
- Does not cause break outs or any skin reactions
- I use this every night and will continue to use it until it runs out
- I need to supplement this night moisturizer with a day moisturizer (see below)
- Good packaging design, it looks cheap, but it does what I want it to do
- Although this product is good, I would not purchase this again because I believe that there are better products out there that I am willing to pay a little bit extra for
As a result of my failed attempt to moisturizing my dry face, I ended up having to buy another face lotion. This time I chose Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion 4.2 fl oz (Amazon ~$25), for Skin Types 1 & 2, Very Dry to Dry Combination.
A few many months ago, I owned the Clinique Moisturizing Gel and it was great for oily skin. I ran out of that sometime during the summer and never replenished since the weather was still hot and my skin wasn’t very dry. I think it’s interesting how your skin changes with the change in weather. I’ve now switched from Cliniques lotion for oily skin to their lotion for dry skin.
Btw, my new lotion works like magic for my super dry skin and really feels like it is making a difference in hydrating my face!
I now use Olay Total Effects for night time and Clinique Moisturizer for morning time. Using Clinique in the morning before applying my liquid foundation makes a HUGE world of a difference for me. I recently bought a new foundation and I hated it after I applied it on my face. But that was because my face was dry and it made my dryness extra obvious. However, used in conjunction with the moisturizer, my new foundation works amazingly! Review on my new foundation, DiorSkin Forever, coming soon!
Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion (Skin Type 1,2) Rating: ★★★★★
- Fragrance free
- Nice bottle design and good pump
- Once you get to the bottom of the bottle, it is hard to get any extra lotion out (you gotta start turning it upside down and pounding on it)
- Very moisturizing for my extreme dry skin
- Doesn’t make me oily or break out
- Works very well as a base for my DiorSkin Forever liquid foundation
- Affordable and easy to get